In our efforts to produce the highest quality products, Shafer Commercial Seating strives to be as environmentally friendly as possible in its selection and use of materials, vendors, and processes for the health and well-being of our employees and our environment, our customers, and their guests.
Proudly, we are a voluntary participant in the State of Colorado Governor’s Pollution Prevention Program. We have accomplished many goals by focusing our efforts in several areas:
The majority of our frame lumber is harvested from naturally forested species, primarily European Beech, which is selectively cut tree by tree (no clear cutting) from mixed timber lands. This harvesting method has been used for hundreds of years to keep the same forests healthy and growing with mixed species. As such, most of these forests have received Governmental Certifications including FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) and PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification).
Whenever possible, Oriented Strand Board (OSB) or wafer board is used instead of traditional plywood because it is made of waste timber rather than old growth clear lumber.
In February of 1996 Shafer Commercial Seating, Inc. installed a new state-of-the-art finishing system which utilizes water based finishes. While we remain permitted by the Environmental Protection Agency to emit 89 tons per year of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) per year, we have virtually eliminated all of our Hazardous Air Pollutant VOC emissions. In that first year, emission dropped approximately 80% from our 1995 emissions while, simultaneously, increasing the number of items finished. Additionally, to the gross reduction in tonnage, the nature of the emissions has changed to be much more ecologically friendly.
All of the adhesives used in our facility for manufacturing are water based and non-polluting.
Waste Management / Reuse:
- All foams are made using a non-CFC blowing method and use non-PDBE fire retardants.
- All scrap foam is returned to the supplier who, in turn, reconstitutes it into carpet padding.
- Cartoning materials from various purchased items are cut and used in the finishing process as masking material. The remaining unusable cartons are picked up for recycling.
- Office waste paper is recycled.
- Every effort is made to use the least amount of packaging possible while still delivering products to the customer without damage. No Styrofoam is ever used.
- Whenever possible, blanket-wrapped vans are used, eliminating the use of cartons all together.
Nearly all cleaning agents are citrus or water based and non-toxic. Less than 1% of cleaning agents by volume used are solvent based.
- Sustainability Commitment: Shafer Commercial Seating has for many years conducted business and made operational decisions with sustainability as a core corporate principle. We strive to minimize our impact on the environment while producing attractive, long lasting products in facilities that are safe and healthy for the people who work in them and live around them. We recognize that our activities impact the environment and the communities we interact with. We believe have a responsibility to ensure that our activities minimize the negative impacts, and maximize the positive impacts we make on the environment and our community.
- Shafer Commercial Seating, Inc. is committed to continual improvement of the environmental sustainability of its products, facilities and operations. Recognizing that our activities and products impact the environment, our community, our customers, and our employees, we take seriously our responsibility for environmental stewardship and sustainability. Our efforts toward environmental sustainability start with, but are not limited to: The use of renewable materials whenever possible. The use of wood, bamboo, and fiber based materials from sustainably grown and harvested sources. Striving to be as energy efficient as possible in everything we do. Contributing to recycling efforts through the use of recycled and recyclable materials, and recycling waste and the byproducts of production whenever possible. Building durable products with long life cycles to ensure that the resources needed to create them are well used, and that more resources are not needed to replace them prematurely. Complying with all applicable Federal, State, and Local environmental regulations. Striving to reduce the emissions and waste streams that result from our activities, products, and processes. Minimizing the amount of packaging used to get our products to their destination without damage, while maximizing the efficiency of transportation resources.